The people keep coming … I want to know why
I’ve noticed something.
Going to church is getting harder and harder. There are restrictions on gathering size, on kids’ programming, on worship teams and singing, restrictions with technology, and more. But the people keep coming. Whether in person or online, they just keep coming, and I want to know why.
Since March 2020, (37 weeks and counting) we have not operated “normally.” It’s not just religious duty, or the power of a well-established habit. As I’ve interacted with many of you, here’s what I’ve noticed:
- You know you need healing. You’ve gotten to a place where you’re desperate for God. You’re tired of being passive, and so nothing will keep you away from this church and from finding the healing you need to move forward.
- You are experiencing God through worship. Restricted as it is, you have recognized the power of worship, and nothing is going to keep you away from it. You’ve heard the echoes of that 100 million-strong chorus of angels in heaven (Revelation 5:12) that never stop singing praise to God, and you want a piece of that.
- You know you need community. You’ve recognized that hardwired into you is the need for others – real live human beings – and you know that church (whether online or in-person) provides that.
- You’re hungry. Not physically, but spiritually. I can tell when I look at you that you’re spiritually hungry, and that is awesome, because the Bible has a great promise for you. Those who hunger (spiritually) will be satisfied. (Matthew 5:6). But you’ve already figured that out, and that’s why you keep coming.
- You have a vision. It’s a vision to help build the kind of church where you, those you know and love, and those you may never even meet will discover and fully follow Jesus. You’ve internalized the Acts 2:39 promise that refers to you, your children, those who are far off – all of whom the Lord our God will call. Together with others who share that vision, you’re making Lakeside an incredible place.
Are you someone who needs healing, who worships, who is tired of going it alone, who is hungry, and who has a vision? Would you like to be? We would be delighted to help you find the next step on this journey.
Executive Pastor, Lakeside Church