These questions are connected to the message, The Importance of Today, from Sunday, May 22, 2022. You can watch it here.
Dive In: Read this passage in a few different translations (e.g. The Message, N. T. Wright’s The New Testament for Everyone, Contemporary English Version, Amplified Bible, The Living Bible); does your understanding of the passage change?
- What stood out to you in this passage or this sermon — something new, something challenging, something encouraging?
- Do you find yourself focusing more on the past, the present, or the future? How so?
- Jesus warns the crowd that they are failing to accept what was right before their eyes; do you think you have ever missed Jesus in your life? How did that feel for you?
- When we hear the word hypocrite, we usually think of someone who does not live up to the beliefs, morals, or standards they hold for others. How does the understanding that hypocrite in the Ancient Near East was defined as “an actor” or a “stage player” due to the meaning of this passage? Click here to read more about the origin of the word.
- Do you think it is important to be in tune with how God is moving in the present? Why or why not?
- Daniel offered a number of practices (below) for being present in the moment with Jesus. Which one do you think you need to practice the most?
- Pray through your day
- Be mindful in the mindless
- Shut off the voices that overwhelm
- Listen to voices of opportunity
- Check in with God