These questions are connected to the message, “Fruit or Fraud” from Sunday, Aug. 29, 2021. You can watch it here.
Dive In: Read or listen to this passage and John 15:4-5 in an unfamiliar translation of the Bible (e.g. New Living Translation or The Message). How does this passage teach you about what God is like?
- Fruit is a regular metaphor in Scripture as the culture in which Jesus lived and moved was predominantly an agrarian culture. In Luke 6 Jesus uses it to make a point. In John 15 he uses it to make another point. What two different points is Jesus making in each of these passages?
- If you’re comfortable sharing, which one most applies to you at this point?
- When you think of a fruitful life, what comes to mind?
- Does it inspire and encourage you or burden you? Why do you think that is?
- If you feel burdened, do you think that’s the outcome Jesus is after? (See Matthew 11:28-30)
- In what areas of your life would you like to see more fruit?
- Look up Galatians 5:22-23. Consider meditating on these verses for a month (or more), and give the Holy Spirit permission to grow you in these areas.