These questions are connected to the message, “Unusual Power,” from Dec. 19, 2021. You can watch it here.
Dive In: Read this passage slowly in an unfamiliar translation of the Bible (e.g. N. T. Wright’s The New Testament for Everyone, Contemporary English Version, Amplified Bible, or The Message).
- Have you ever experienced the mountaintop-to-valley plunge where you had a powerful experience of God or spiritual awakening and then were plunged into testing or doubt? What was that like and how did you navigate it?
- Where in your life do you feel powerless? Are there things you’re trying to do or fix in own strength?
- Where might you be oblivious to the way of Jesus? What desires, pride, need for control might be hindering you from embracing the small way — the hidden and selfless way?
- Where might you, even inadvertently, be an opponent to Jesus and his mission? Are there those who you are excluding because you don’t think they are qualified to serve or to minister?
- To do the Jesus thing we have to live the Jesus way. Discuss ways the contemporary North American church may not be living the Jesus way — the way of smallness, hiddenness, powerlessness.