You always wanted to be an agent, right?
Yesterday at Lakeside, we closed out our series, “Clash of Kings” talking about The Great Commission. “Not an obligation to communication, but an invitation to transformation” was how we put it. We said that followers of Jesus who are experiencing an encounter with God just can’t help themselves – the good news literally spills out of them wherever they go.
You know, as a follower of Jesus, you take on a new identity, and it’s the journey of a lifetime understanding and working that out. I like how the Bible translator JB Phillips puts it in his translation of 2 Corinthians 5:17-20.
“For if a man is in Christ he becomes a new person altogether—the past is finished and gone, everything has become fresh and new. All this is God’s doing, for he has reconciled us to himself through Jesus Christ; and he has made us agents of the reconciliation. God was in Christ personally reconciling the world to himself—not counting their sins against them—and has commissioned us with the message of reconciliation. We are now Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were appealing direct to you through us. As his personal representatives we say, “Make your peace with God.”
- A new person altogether. An entirely new life – a fresh start – a clean slate. That is who you are.
- An agent of the reconciliation. An agent – I feel like I need a special badge for that!
- Commissioned. There is a sense of special purpose that you now carry with you wherever you go because you are commissioned.
- Christ’s ambassador. Do you ever think of yourself as living in a foreign land, a country not your own? It’s good to be reminded not to become too familiar and tied into this world and its ways.
- His personal representative. God invites me to represent Him? That is mind blowing.
As you go, and wherever you go, may this incredibly good news pour out of you!
When we gather again on Sept. 20, we’ll launch a brand news series called “VACCINE.” Marc Gagnon will be speaking and you won’t want to miss it!
Executive Pastor, Lakeside Church