These questions are connected to the message, “What to do when life throws you a curveball” from April 25, 2021. You can find it here.
- Read the passage (Luke 1:26-38) in an unfamiliar translation. What word, phrase, thought stands out to you. Why
- Was there a time in your life when your “preferred future” (your plans and dreams) were interrupted or dashed completely? What was that like? How did you experience God during that time (did God seem closer or more distant)? Share with the group if you’re comfortable).
- What is your default for handling/reacting to situations that blindside you, over which you have no control?
- This pandemic was unforeseen and beyond our control. Do you feel it has been a time of growth for you? Has it exposed blind spots? How has it challenged you in your faith and following of Jesus?
- Unlike Mary, most of our life’s curveballs aren’t direct mandates from God; they’re often the result of our own missteps, others’ missteps, or the consequences of living in a broken world. What does a faithful response look like in those situations?
- What might faithfulness look like for you in this season of your life? Are there areas that you feel prompted to release control over to God or to at least pray for the desire to be able to do this?
- What is one area of your life that you could focus on trying to be more faithful in the next few weeks? Share with your group if you’re comfortable. Do you have to see results for faithfulness to be “successful?”